Financial Aid

Financing your education

It’s never too early to make a plan for financing your education. It is recommended that you start researching your eligibility and loan options as soon as possible. US citizens and permanent residents may be eligible for federal loans (i.e., Direct Loan, Grad PLUS). In addition, private alternative loan programs are available for credit-worthy borrowers. International students often require a qualified co-signer who is a US citizen or permanent resident. You may be able to earn a stipend through your capstone research experience with our industry partners to help pay for your education.

Visit the following resources on Penn websites and federal websites to guide you through the process.

Student Financial Services

Penn’s Student Financial Services office is available to prospective and current students for financial aid inquiries. For more information on financing your graduate studies, visit the Student Financial Services website to:

  • Check your loan eligibility status
  • Get information on federal loans and payment plans
  • Get email and mailing addresses, phone numbers, office hours, and appointment details
  • Learn more about the differences between private and federal loans, and where you can find lenders
  • Learn more about financial aid and billing: Watch a video hosted by Joe Manning, Associate Director of Graduate and Professional Aid

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

All domestic applicants interested in their federal loan eligibility should complete the FAFSA form after applying to the program.

  • Start your FAFSA form on the Department of Education’s website

Tuition benefits

If you intend to complete the Master of Chemical Sciences degree as a working professional, you may be able to take advantage of tuition reimbursement benefits offered by your employer. If you are a full-time Penn employee, learn more about Penn's tuition benefits on Penn’s Human Resources website.

International student financial information

Penn’s International Student and Scholar Services provide immigration expertise and assistance to the Penn community. Visit these pages on the International Student and Scholar website to get more information on employment options for international students:

  • On-campus employment: Learn more about the rules for employment at Penn for F-1 and J-1 visas
  • Curricular Practical Training: Get information on gaining Curricular Practical Training (CPT)—alternate work-study and internship opportunities offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with Penn. Students interested in this option must schedule an appointment with the Master of Chemical Sciences department to obtain the necessary academic authorization.
  • Optional Practical Training: Learn about the process of applying for Optional Practical Training (OPT)—hands-on work experiences that complement your education

Theoretical and technical expertise

A blend of core concentration courses and electives allows students to create an individualized academic schedule.

Culture, community, and city living

Explore everything Penn has to offer, including the vibrant city life of Philadelphia.

Am I eligible to apply?

Admissions to the master's program is highly selective. Learn more about applicant qualifications.