Financing your education
It’s never too early to make a plan for financing your education. It is recommended that you start researching your eligibility and loan options as soon as possible. Visit the following resources on Penn websites and federal websites to guide you through the process.
Student Financial Services
Penn’s Student Financial Services office is available to prospective and current students for financial aid inquiries. For more information on financing your graduate studies, visit the Student Financial Services website to:
- Check your loan eligibility status
- Get information on federal loans and payment plans
- Get email and mailing addresses, phone numbers, office hours and appointment details
- Learn more about the differences between private and federal loans, and where you can find lenders
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
All domestic applicants interested in their federal loan eligibility should complete the FAFSA form after applying to the program.
- Start your FAFSA form on the Department of Education’s website
International student financial information
Penn’s International Student and Scholar Services provide immigration expertise and assistance to the Penn community. Visit these pages on the International Student and Scholar website to get more information on employment options for international students:
- On-campus employment: Learn more about the rules for employment at Penn for F-1 and J-1 visas
- Curricular Practical Training: Get information on gaining Curricular Practical Training (CPT)—alternate work-study and internship opportunities. Students interested in this option should discuss with their academic adviser once enrolled in the program.
- Optional Practical Training: MES is a STEM program. Learn about the process of applying for Optional Practical Training (OPT)—hands-on work experiences that complement your education post-graduation.
If you intend to complete the Master of Environmental Studies degree as a working professional, you may be able to take advantage of tuition reimbursement benefits offered by your employer. If you are a full-time Penn employee, learn more about Penn's tuition benefits on Penn’s Human Resources website.