Online Learning for Real-Life Leading and Global Human Well-Being
Welcome to the all online, ten-course, one-year Penn Global Master of Public Administration program—the Penn G-MPA!
Penn is an Ivy League school located in historic Philadelphia. Penn is consistently ranked among America’s top universities and is often ranked first in many fields.
The Penn G-MPA is designed especially for academically select and highly qualified present and future leaders in government, nonprofit, and business organizations who wish to hone their problem-solving skills and go on to make a real difference in improving human well-being locally, nationally, and globally.
The “G” in the Penn G-MPA is alive throughout our exciting ten-course curriculum. All Penn G-MPA students are proficient in English as well as in any one or more of five other languages: Hindi, Mandarin, Portuguese, Spanish, or Swahili. In addition to our ten cutting-edge courses, the program includes more than a dozen optional special discussion forums with distinguished global leaders; more than a dozen optional supervised synchronous sessions with G-MPA classmates from all around the world; and required weekly synchronous advising sessions with our faculty and staff.
As a Penn G-MPA student, you develop and deepen skills in collaborative leadership, public management, economics, data analysis, and ethical reasoning while becoming immersed in real-world cases on topics ranging from economic development in Latin America to eldercare in Asia to public health in Africa.
Your problem-solving learning culminates in a capstone paper written for whichever one of three global leadership and problem-solving courses you choose—a paper that is based on primary and secondary research conducted in English and one other language. In addition, students who wish to be considered for High Honors will also write a second capstone paper in the form of either a discourse on leadership ethics or a study of strategic innovation.
Blending rigorous academic analytics with practical problem-solving skills, your Penn G-MPA’s world-class, multi-lingual faculty brings together diverse and distinguished national and global leaders to address major problems affecting human well-being, such as the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Penn G-MPA enables you to earn your graduate professional degree in just one year and to complete weekly course assignments at whatever times work best for you. During the academic year—from fall 2022 to spring 2023—admitted students:
- Complete an orientation that introduces students to faculty, staff, and each other while addressing all aspects of the program, from its overarching “collaboration across sectors” and “strategic analysis” pedagogy to its particular academic policies and protocols
- Take and complete ten all-online, asynchronous courses
- Receive weekly synchronous online course advising and faculty mentoring
- Participate at their option in special synchronous seminars featuring boundary-spanning, problem-solving global leaders in the government, nonprofit, and business sectors
- Complete one or two intellectually challenging, skills-stretching capstone research papers
- Come to Penn the week before graduation, at their option, to meet the G-MPA faculty and staff in person and participate in special sessions featuring experts on global affairs